Advertising online is a great way to get in front of customers when they’re searching for your products and services online. But, where do you start? Search engine advertising is the perfect foray into the world of online advertising because it allows you to target local customers quickly and efficiently.
Here are three basic tips for creating a successful online search advertising campaign that gets you in front of your target audience.
1. Know the Importance of a Good Quality Score
Quality Score is important because it affects your average ad placement (where users will see your ad) on Google. To put it simply, Quality Score is like a grade that Google gives you based on the relevancy of your landing page, keywords, and text ads. This score can range from one to ten (ten being the highest), and a high Quality Score can help you reach your audience with higher ranking ads while minimizing your cost per click. If you’re choosing an online marketing company to run your search engine advertising campaigns, ask about average Quality Score or see if they’ve won any awards from Google. For example, ReachLocal was named Google’s Quality Score Champion for having the highest average Quality Score across its campaigns.
2. Choose the Right Search Engines
When people think search engine advertising, they often only think about advertising on Google. But, if you’re only advertising on Google then you’re missing out on potential customers who use other search engines like Yahoo or Bing. A publisher agnostic approach will allow you to allocate your search advertising budget so consumers will see your ads on a range of search engines, which means you’re able to target the most comprehensive group of people.
3. Determine Your Budget & Ad Strategy
When you begin advertising on search engines, you will need to set a budget. But, there are a few things that go into determining your budget you will need to figure out first, all of which affect who, when, and how you’re targeting your audience.
- Keywords: Choosing your keywords is important because this is how search engines will determine when to show your ads. Choose keywords that accurately describe what’s on your website or landing page. But, keep in mind that keyword costs vary based on competition, location, and more. For example, a keyword like “Dallas lawyer” is often an expensive choice because there’s a lot of competition in the legal industry and in that city. Adding some longer-tail keywords can help you stretch your budget while targeting similar searches.
- Devices: Device strategy is important because you can implement increased bids for that particular device if you know how people are searching for you. For example, if you know more users search for your products and services on mobile, you can focus on a mobile search strategy.
- Days & Times: If you feel like you can’t stretch your budget enough to advertise online 24/7, it may be wise to day-part your ads. This means you choose certain days and hours that you want your ads to show, versus having your ad show whenever a consumer searches online.
Analyzing these methods and combining the right efforts for your business will help you get in front of your target audience with search advertising. Each strategy will be different; you just need to find the right fit! Learn more about search advertising and how ReachLocal can help you get started on our website.