Did you know that 75% of local businesses actively use Facebook to market their business? Facebook is where potential customers are, and where they’re spending a large portion of their time. But, don’t take my word for it! Here are five Facebook user demographics you need to know to help you manage your paid and organic Facebook marketing strategy.
- 72% of American Adults Use Facebook: Research has shown that 72% of American adults who use the internet also use Facebook. As the largest social network, Facebook reports that they have 65 billion active users, 1.09 billion of which log into the site and spend an average of 40 minutes, either on a desktop or mobile device, each day.
- Adults 25-44 Make Up the Largest Age Group: The age groups that are most active on Facebook are adults ages 25 to 34 and adults 35 to 44.
- 77% of Female Internet Users are on Facebook: 11% more women than men use Facebook – 77% of adult women are active on Facebook while 66% of adult men use the social network.
- Many Facebook Users are Considered “Affluent”: 78% of internet users making more than $75,000 use Facebook. 73% of internet users making $30,000 or less are active on Facebook. Other income levels have a high percentage of usage as well, so you can target nearly any income bracket you’d like.
- Facebook Appeals Almost Equally to People in All Income Brackets: 72% of internet users with a college degree or higher and users who have had some college education are active on Facebook. 71% of internet users with a high school diploma or less are active on Facebook.
How Can You Use These Facebook Demographics to Market Your Business?
Did any of these stats go against what you previously thought about Facebook users? Because Facebook has such a large and varied group of users, chances are your target audience is using the site – and your business can’t afford to not be on Facebook. In addition to setting up and managing an engaging Facebook page, you can use Facebook’s advertising and boosting options to reach new, specific audiences. In fact, you can target ads and posts to specific audiences based on information like:
- Age range
- Income level
- Place of employment
- Their likes and interests
- Their behaviors (such as what other websites they have visited)
How Facebook Audience Targeting Worked for This Client
Santa Ana College, a ReachLocal client, uses Facebook advertising to reach new prospective students by using ads to target a specific age range and education level. Through Facebook advertising, they successfully reached new prospects, generated new page likes, and recorded higher than normal engagement. In addition to advertising, Santa Ana continued to regularly post engaging updates like school activities, helpful study tips, and more to engage their new fans and encourage engagement among their existing fan base.