Small Business Saturday, American Express’s program to support local businesses around the holiday season, is November 25 this year. With a little more than a month until the biggest shop small initiative, it’s time to start thinking about how your local business will get involved.
So, you may be wondering, “How do I sign up for Small Business Saturday?”
Well, the short answer is you don’t have to sign up for anything to participate! Getting involved with Small Business Saturday is a simple process. You simply choose to participate and get started with your planning.
However, if you want further resources and information for your business, here are a few things you can do.
1. Get Free Materials from American Express
On the American Express Small Business Saturday website, you can enter your email to get a business packet that contains some great (free) resources to publicize your involvement in Small Business Saturday. This year, you can receive the following items straight to your computer:
- An email header with suggested email copy to send your customer list.
- An event flyer to publicize your event that you can print off and place around your business.
- A Facebook cover photo so you can update your page to let fans and followers know you’re participating in Small Business Saturday this year.
- Suggested social post copy and an image you can share on your various social sites.
- A tip sheet that goes over how you can use these free materials.
You can also create customized resources on the Small Business Saturday website for free!
2. Get Your Business on the Shop Small® Map
If you’re a qualifying American Express Card accepting business, you can be featured on the Shop Small® Map, which shows locals in your area new businesses to explore around Small Business Saturday. This can also help you get featured in a Shop Small® guide, which provides recommendations from local tastemakers.
3. Become a Neighborhood Champion
A Neighborhood Champion is someone who gets small businesses to participate in Small Business Saturday in their area. In order to become a Neighborhood Champion, you can apply on the American Express website. Once accepted, you’ll organize at least one Small Business Saturday event, get at least 10 local businesses to participate in Small Business Saturday this year, and hand out Shop Small® merchandise. Sounds like a fun way to get the community together and encourage others to shop small!
4. Start Planning Your Business’s Involvement
Participating in Small Business Saturday can be as simple as creating a special promotion for your business, or you can take it a step further and plan a full campaign around getting new customers to your business on November 25. Read our blog post, Small Business Saturday: 7 Ways to Get Your Business Involved, for great tips on planning for this year.
ReachLocal is proud to support Small Business Saturday. We love local businesses and shopping small in our communities across the globe, and we look forward to seeing how your business will participate in Small Business Saturday this year!