Did you know that 76% of local businesses use content marketing? But, what exactly is content marketing and why is it important for local businesses?
What is Content Marketing?
Before we hop into why content marketing is important for local businesses, let’s start with what it actually is. According to Content Marketing Institute, content marketing is defined as “creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly-defined audience – and ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.” This content can include blog articles, infographics, videos, snackable content, and more.
So, now that we know what content marketing is, let’s talk about why it’s important for your local business.
1. It Can Enhance Your SEO
The foundation of SEO is quality content. Google and other top search engines aim to show searchers the highest quality results for their queries, which often results in showing the highest quality content. You obviously want to focus on informative and valuable content for your website, but if you’re not employing a content marketing strategy, you’re missing out an additional opportunities to own the search engine results pages (SERPs) for searches related to your products and services.
A few other reasons content marketing can enhance your on-page SEO include:
- Keywords: Keyword-rich content is still an important ranking factor. So, the more content you create related to your main products or services, the better chance your website has of appearing in related search results. Just remember: The primary audience for the content you’re creating should be people, not search engines. Make sure your content is readable and valuable – not just stuffed with keywords.
- Back Linking: Creating blogs or infographics with links to reputable industry websites or other trustworthy blogs can help build a strong signal to Google that your website contains high-quality and accurate information.
- Content Freshness: Another on-page SEO ranking factor is content freshness. Google wants to show pages that are constantly updated and about “hot” topics, and posting regular content can help you with this.
2. It Positions You as an Industry Expert & Builds Brand Awareness
Content marketing provides a way for local businesses to become the go-to source for knowledge, updates, and tips in their industry. For example, a couple of months ago, I had a car question and found a helpful “How-to” video from a local mechanic that helped me diagnose and fix the issue myself. I’ve referenced this mechanic’s blog multiple times for additional car questions and called them when I had a car problem I couldn’t fix myself. This mechanic now has a lifelong customer all because they created helpful and valuable content.
3. It Helps You Stand Out From Your Competitors
Do your competitors have a content marketing strategy? If they don’t, your content could provide a way for you to stand out from your competitors online. You could be the one customers turn to for advice, information, and industry updates. So when they do need products or services you offer, they would be more likely to do business with you.
What content marketing strategies are you using to enhance your SEO, stand out from your competitors, and educate your customers? Let us know in the comments!