It’s almost the New Year, which means it’s time to start writing down your goals and resolutions for 2016. When you’re thinking about what you want to accomplish in 2016, don’t forget to include some digital marketing resolutions that can help your business see success in the New Year. Here are three digital marketing resolutions that are easy to keep throughout the year.
1. Clean Up Your Local Listings
Local listings are important to your overall web presence and can help people find your business when they search for local products and services. This year, make it a priority to clean up your listings and keep your business information consistent across sites like Google, Yelp, and a number of directory listings. Not only will this digital marketing resolution help you present clear and accurate information about your business to potential customers, but it will also help improve your SEO because search engines value consistent information across the web.
How Much Time it Will Take: If you don’t already have your local listings claimed, setting up your business could eat up quite a lot of hours. But, once your listings are set up and optimized with pictures and relevant content, you don’t really have to touch them unless your business information changes. However, there are services available, like ReachListings from ReachLocal, that can update and manage directory listings for you to make this resolution even easier to keep.
2. Manage Your Online Reputation
Your online reputation is extremely important – 92% of consumers say they read online reviews before making a purchasing decision. Make it a priority to take control of your reputation by following a few of these tips:
- Use an incognito browser to conduct a search for “your business name + reviews,” and take a note of all the search results where information about your business appears.
- Check key directory and review sites like Google and Yelp for new reviews weekly or monthly depending on the volume of reviews you receive.
- Develop a strategy for responding to reviews.
- Ask current customers to leave you a review – 90% of consumers say they will leave a review if asked.
- Create some positive content about your business reviews – such as a video review, blog post, or press release that you can post on your website and social channels.
How Much Time it Will Take: Searching your business listings only takes a few minutes, but once you’ve compiled a list of sites where your business receives reviews, you only need to spend up to a couple hours a month managing your online reputation there and creating new content to support your business’ reputation strategy.
3. Try One New Marketing Tactic
Each year, new marketing trends emerge. This year, incorporate at least one new marketing trend into your existing strategy to reach consumers in a fresh way. A few digital marketing trends to consider are:
- Social buy buttons: Target consumers directly through social media by incorporating buy buttons into your online marketing strategy. You can add buy buttons to posts on Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and even on Google to create a seamless purchasing experience that allows consumers to buy your products or book your services directly on those social sites.
- Live streaming apps: Live streaming apps like Periscope and Meerkat exploded in popularity in 2015, and many are saying it’s the future of marketing. You can connect with customers in real time with these apps and provide a unique experience for consumers by streaming things like employee interviews, new stock that has arrived, answers to FAQs you’ve received, or a tour of your business.
- Polls and quizzes: In 2015, quizzes were the most shared content type on Facebook. Create some polls and quizzes about your industry to share on social sites like Facebook or Twitter to increase engagement and encourage fans and followers to interact with your business online. Twitter has simplified this process by allowing you create polls directly through your status updates.
How Much Time it Will Take: Depending on which tactic (or tactics) you decide to incorporate into your digital marketing strategy, this resolution can take you an hour or two a month. However, including these trends in your 2016 marketing plan can help you reach more customers and appeal to consumers in new and interesting ways.
To really make an impact to your online presence, you should be spending a few hours every month keeping up with your digital marketing resolutions, but the pay off for sticking with them could be extremely beneficial for your business. What are some other digital marketing resolutions you’re making for 2016? Let us know in the comments!